- Go to OpenLanguage.com.
- Click on the Login button at the top-right.
- Enter your account credentials.
- Click on the "Open Academy" link in the left-hand menu.
B. User Roles
There are two types of roles in the Open Academy: administrators and assistants, which could be teachers or support staff.
You can see your role by looking at the white text in the gray bar at the top-left of the screen. Also, if you see an "Invite a New Student" button and the "Voucher Codes" tab then you are an administrator.
The main difference between an administrator and an assistant is that administrators will have access to all the student details in the organization and the ability to redeem subscription vouchers. If you want to add new students to the account, you will need to have an administrator account.
Administrators can upgrade assistant accounts at any time. Simply click on the Staff tab the click on the email address of the user you would like to upgrade.
You will then see the details page for that user. Click on Edit.
Then simply change the Role to Admin and double-click the green "Submit" button. The next time this user logs in they will have Admin access.
When your organization purchases subscription vouchers from OpenLanguage they will be listed in the "Voucher Codes" page. Each voucher code will be associated with a specific language channel and subscription length. When you redeem this code for a student they will be give these subscription rights. After you redeem this code, you can return to this page to see which student used which voucher code and which codes are still available for use.
D. Invite a New Student
- Click on the "Students" tab in the menu.
- Click on the "Invite a New Student" button.
- Enter the students full name, email address, native language and target language. You can also put this student in a Group (for better management control) and assign a custom ID if you organization has one. When you select a target language the student will be given a complimentary course in that language when they first login to help give them a better first experience.
- At the bottom of the page, you have the option to enter a voucher code and a voucher code start date. You can give a subscription voucher to a student at any time from the Student Details page. If you would like to do it now, simply enter the code and the start date, which can be up to 30 days in the future.
E. What Does a Student See?
- The Student will receive a confirmation email with their temporary password and a link they need to click to confirm their email address.
- After confirming, the student will be directed to the website where they will find their complimentary course.
- The student will also receive a welcome email with a list of steps to get started and a number of video tutorials to help them get more familiar with the service.
F. Final Steps
Finally, to get the student set up you should assign a teacher and a course to the student.
To assign a teacher, simply go to the Student Details page and locate the "Teachers" section. Click "Add a Teacher" and select the teacher in your organization. If the teacher is not listed you should add them first, in the "Staff" section. After a teacher has been assigned to a student, the next time they login to the website they will see the student record as well.
To assign a course, a teacher, learning consultant or admin just needs to go to the Student Details Page. Go to the "Courses" section of the page, and click on "Add a Course". Select the language and the course you would like to assign.